Before and after processing with texture overlays …
Processing with a grunge texture completely changes the mood of this image.
Photoshop Texture Recipe:
This is very simple processing with one texture. The grunge faux ‘Through The Viewfinder’ texture lends a vintage feel that reminded me of 1940s movies of gangsters. This recipe assumes a level of familiarity with applying and selectively removing textures in Photoshop. If you’re not familiar with the processes involved, please check out my tutorials.
Clouds TTV – a grungy muted texture of clouds with faux Through The Viewfinder (TTV) edges (to view a larger size, click on the thumbnail)
This texture is available for free download on flickr.
- Original image: Normal 100%
- Clouds TTV (reversed to its mirror-image using Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal): Normal 50%
- Original Image: Normal 20%
- Clouds TTV: Multiply20%
- Original Image: Soft Light 80%. On a layer mask use a soft brush @ 100% to remove the background to reveal the texture beneath.
- Original Image: Soft Light 20% (To blend the layers)
- Clouds TTV: Soft Light 80%. To soften the effect of the texture & reveal the details of the flowers, select the area using the lasso tool & apply Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur @250.
- Clouds TTV: Soft Light 20% (To blend the layers)